Information for AllClear Gold, Gold Plus and Traveller policyholders – Monarch Airlines ceasing trading
Monarch Airlines ceased trading at midnight 01/02 October 2017
This will affect the following companies:
- – Monarch Airlines Ltd.
- – Monarch Holidays Ltd (ATOL Number 2275).
- – First Aviation Ltd (ATOL Number 4888) previously trading as Monarch Airlines.
- – Avro Ltd (ATOL Number 1939).
- – Somewhere2stay Ltd.
Information for Monarch customers
- If you are in the UK and yet to travel– don’t go to the airport.
- If you are currently abroad– everyone due to fly in the next fortnight will be brought back to the UK at no cost to them. There is no need to cut short a stay. Check co.uk for confirmation of your new flight details, which will be available a minimum of 48 hours in advance of your original departure time.
- All affected customersshould keep checking co.uk for more information. The CAA also has a 24-hour helpline: 0300 303 2800 from the UK and Ireland and +44 1753 330330 from overseas.
The following cover applies for policies bought on or before 1st October 2017
For policies bought on or after 2nd October 2017 there is no cover as this is now a known event.
Cancellation & Curtailment
If you booked your flight or accommodation separately i.e. not included in a package holiday: And have an AllClear Gold or Gold Plus Policy, then you may be covered under Scheduled airline failure insurance (SAFI).
Scheduled airline failure is automatically included in AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies (under End supplier failure). If you have an AllClear Traveller policy, you will only be covered if you bought ‘Scheduled airline failure’ as an optional extra.
Under Scheduled Airline Failure you can claim for unused flight charges (associated with the trip), that you cannot get a refund for elsewhere; if you haven’t travelled yet, or if the outward journey has been completed. Please see your policy wording for full details.
Alternatively, you can claim for the cost of a one-way airfare, of no greater standard than the original, to allow you to complete a return trip home. However, the CAA are chartering flights for repatriation, so you may not need to claim under this section.
Nevertheless, you should also check with your credit card provider(s) and / or Paypal – as if your holiday was booked this way, you may be able to recover losses through them.
Please be aware, you cannot claim under the Cancellation or Curtailment section of your cover as a result of Monarch ceasing trading.
Also check whether your booking was ATOL protected – as not all of Monarch’s bookings are. Please note, flights booked on or before 14 December 2016 are ATOL protected, (as long you have an ATOL certificate). Bookings from 15 December 2016 onward are not ATOL protected.
If you booked Monarch flights or holidays through a tour operator or travel agent: Contact the provider to rearrange your trip or request a refund.
Travel delay / Trip abandonment
There is no cover under these sections, as this does not relate to airline failure.
The Monarch Airlines website also offers help, for those abroad or those who have not yet travelled.